4 Things To Do If You Miss Your Court Date In Raleigh

Have you, or someone you know, missed court in Wake County and are concerned that there may be a warrant for arrest? Medical emergencies, vehicle malfunctions, miscommunications with the attorney, last minute changes to the calendar, and court errors are all common reasons why even the most responsible and well-intentioned defendants to fail  to appear. Knowing what steps to take immediately after a missed court appearance may save you or a loved one a trip to jail.

  1. Get Confirmation

First you want to determine if you have in fact missed court. Since arrest records are public information this is easy to do over the phone. Simply call the Wake County Clerk’s Office and be prepared to give them your full name, date of birth, and case information. They can tell you the status of the case, inform you of any documented “Called and Fails” and any outstanding “Orders For Arrests”.

  1. File A Motion

Once its been determined that the court date was missed in Wake County you want to take immediate action. One of the first things to do is File A Motion Requesting New Court On Failing To Appear. This Motion is simply a written request to the presiding judge for reinstatement on the calendar, and the rescinding of any arrest order. The Motion must be made in person by the defendant using a pre-printed form found in room 1000 of the Wake County Justice Center. There’s no cost for filing a motion however individuals may be asked to show identification to prove they are the defendant. We’ve made a pdf version of the Motion For New Court On Failing To Appear available here for your convenience. Once filed, expect a response from the court within 7 to 10 business days at the mailing address provided.

  1. Contact A Competent Attorney

It’s highly recommended that you contact a competent criminal attorney upon learning there is an outstanding order for arrest. In some cases an attorney may appear in person and motion the court on your behalf to strike the order for arrest. There is usually a fee  associated with this service. Sometimes failing to appear for certain offenses carries penalties but may NOT result in a warrant being issued. An attorney can help you determine what steps need to be taken to resolve your legal issue most expediently. Keep in mind that attorneys vary in area of expertise, years of experience, and knowledge of local practices. Be sure to do your due diligence before hiring and individual or a firm to handle your case.

  1. Call Case Closed Bail Bonds for A No-Cost Phone Consultation

If you have missed a scheduled court appearance in Raleigh remember Case Closed Bail Bonds offers free phone consultations with a licensed Raleigh bondsman 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our agents are knowledgeable of the procedures in Wake County and are uniquely qualified to helps individuals who think they may have missed a court date get back on the court calendar. We will work around your schedule, and with your legal counsel to arrange bail in a way that ensures the speediest possible release from custody.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *